Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Study Centre
Year of establishment – April, 2001
Status of the Centre – Approved by the UGC since April, 2001 under the scheme of “Epoch Making Social Thinkers of India” and working through the Department of Philosophy.
- 1.To have a deeper look at Radhakrishnan’s contribution to India’s cultural heritage in the light of contemporary issues – philosophical, educational and social.
- 2.To help exposure a new generation of research scholars and intelligent lay people to Radhakrishnan’s multi-faceted creative activities through seminars, special lectures, popular lectures, and appropriate forms of study and research.
- 3.Dissemination of Radhakrishnan’s insights into educational, social, political and religious fields through publication of books and monographs (in both English and the state language, Bengali).
Proposed Research Activities of the Centre:
Focal Themes of Research:
- a. Radhakrishnan’s Approach to Advaita Vedanta;
- b. Radhakrishnan on Society and Polity;
- c. Radhakrishnan’s Ideas on Status of Women in Independent India;
- d. Radhakrishnan on Religion : Religion of Spirit versus Religion of Authority.
Research Projects to be undertaken by the Centre:
Two Research Fellows are working on the following projects :
- a. Radhakrishnan and Advaita Vedanta;
- b. Radhakrishnan’s Understanding of Tagore;
- c. A Comprehensive Documentation Project on :
- i. Works by Radhakrishnan; and
- ii. Works on Radhakrishnan.